Smoking affects your whole body, including your mouth.
Tobacco smoking remains the single most preventable cause of illness and death in Australia.
If you are a smoker, you may suffer from:
- Bad breath.
- Stained teeth/dentures/white fillings.
- Reduced taste.
Smoking also increases the risk of oral cancer and gum disease.
If your teeth or dentures are stained from smoking:
- Use a soft toothbrush and a pea-sized amount of adult fluoride toothpaste to clean your teeth.
- Clean dentures with mild soap and water.
- Avoid using smokers’ toothpaste and whitening products as they can be too abrasive.
It is important to know that smoking might cause problems after dental treatment, including:
- Poor healing after tooth extraction.
- Failure of dental implants and
- Slowed healing after gum disease treatment.